Book Twirps's Reviews > Embers and Echoes

Embers and Echoes by Karsten Knight

Sep 14, 12

Read in September, 2012

When I read Wildefire I fell in love with the book. It introduced me to a wide range of characters, many of whom were reincarnated gods that I knew very little about. I loved the world of Blackwood Academy. The action was awesome and the characters a lot of fun. Also, the ending left me wanting to immediately dive into the second book and I had to wait over a year for the sequel. The horror! The minute I received my pre-ordered copy in the mail I set all of my “required” reading aside and dove in.

The following may contain mild spoilers from the first book. You’ve been warned.

The book picks up right where Wildefire left off. There’s no flashback to the moment, or a quick summary. You’re right back with Colt and Ashline and dealing with the aftermath of the accident and Colt’s big reveal. His reveal leaves a bad taste in Ash’s mouth and she ends up leaving him and going her own way. When she receives a tip that she can find her mysterious little sister in Miami, she hops a flight to begin her search. When she gets there, she finds out that a familiar face from book one has her sister, and she has a group of gods working for her who call themselves “The Four Seasons”. The gods have a plan of their own which includes revealing themselves to the world through questionable means. Lucky for Ash, she’s met a couple of other gods who are on her side that are willing to help her rescue her little sister, and in the process, stop “The Four Seasons” from wrecking havoc. The closer she grows to one of her new “friends”, the deeper the burn she feels for Colt and his betrayal. Just when she thinks she may have a chance at a new beginning, the mysterious trickster reappears and she finds out his betrayal goes even deeper than she originally thought.

Okay, so I know that summary is a little vague, but I don’t like spoiling my reviews with too many details. Let me just say that there is A LOT that happens in this book, and while I enjoyed a lot of it, there was a lot that left me scratching my head. There were several plot points that I felt were reconciled too quickly. “The Four Seasons” could have really grown to be this awesome force, and I felt that they kind of fizzled. It seemed like just as I had put the pieces together, something changed, which isn’t always a bad thing, but in this case, I just felt as if there were too many things happening. As I said earlier, many of these things lost steam leaving me a little underwhelmed. Characters are introduced and then either killed off or they just disappear. I wanted more and I felt like I didn’t get a chance to connect (either positively or negatively) with a lot of them. I also felt like the book could have ended before it did. In fact, there were about two other places in the book where I felt it could have ended and I would have been satisfied. While it all ties together in the end, overall, it felt kind of disjointed to me.

My second problem with the book was Ash. She really started to get on my nerves. I appreciate a dry and sometimes sarcastic sense of humor, but I like my characters to have a little more depth and I didn’t get that from Ash. She was overly sarcastic, and I didn’t get it. She just didn’t seem real to me. I don’t think anyone is sarcastic 90% of the time when communicating with others. I was more forgiving in the first book, but in this one it just seemed to wear on my nerves. It felt as if every time she had a conversation she was throwing out one liners, and being a smart-ass. It made it hard to like her.

Another issue I had was the ending. It’s another cliffhanger, and while sometimes cliffhanger endings can be effective, I was expecting it this time around, and it felt a little melodramatic to me.

While I am looking forward to the next book in the series, I’m not frothing at the mouth for it like I was after reading Wildefire. Embers and Echoes is a fun action-packed read. I just wished it had felt a little more grounded in purpose.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Embers and Echoes.

08/30/2012 page 100