Isis FG's Reviews > Magnolia

Magnolia by Diana Palmer

Oct 01, 08

bookshelves: info-full, genre-romance-historical-other, reviewed, author-diana-palmer, 2008, z2008-july-dec, stars-4
Recommended to Isis FG by: favorite author
Read in September, 2008

I expected this book to be pretty much typical Diana Palmer, and it was in most ways, but at the same time, it wasn't quite a forumalaic as most of her books.

The story focuses on Claire and John. Claire's uncle had done business with John, who was a banker, and she'd known him for quite a while. Eventually she fell in love with him, but he was completely hooked on another woman who left him and married someone else. When Claire's only family, her uncle, dies, leaving her with nothing and noone, she John proposes. He likes her a lot and doesn't want to see her suffer...plus marrying will help squelch the rumors that he is secretly seeing his married ex-fiancee. Claire hopes that over time, John will grow to love her. But John's emotions are in turmoil. He loves Diane...at least he thought he did, but his feelings for Claire...well, the whole thing confuses the hell out of him. And to make matters worse, he's suddenly been accused of embezzling money from the bank just when he realizes how much he needs and loves Claire.

The story is still pretty classic DP, and you can still find her trademarks. They're just not as severely portrayed. Claire is a young virgin, but she's rather plucky and interesting and adventurous compared most DP heroines. And John isn't quite the battered embittered hero you usually find in her books. There's emotional turmoil between the two, and John isn't always nice to Claire, but unlike in some other DP books, I could actually understand and mostly condone the way he was.

So it was a nice surprise to read a DP book that didn't quite fall in line with her others. It was an interesting story, too. I don't think I've read a romance book set in the early 1900's before and I loved the use of the "newfangled" motorcar. The romance was pretty solid as well.

All in all, I rather enjoyed this book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Magnolia.