jenjn79's Reviews > Ravished

Ravished by Virginia Henley

Jul 16, 2008

did not like it
bookshelves: info-full, reviewed, genre-romance-historical-england, did-not-finish, pbs-posted
Recommended to jenjn79 by: random buy
Recommended for: no one
Read in July, 2008

I tried to read this book. Really tried, but I just can't finish it. It's so utterly ridiculous.

It's set in the early 1800's (1813-1814) and the heroine, Alex, is 17 years old...yet she runs around doing whatever she pleases with no consequences. She wonders London on her own, not getting into trouble, goes off with men all by herself and there's no fallout. She swears like a modern day woman. She dresses up like a man and sneaks in places. She sneaks looks at naked me, tries to seduce the hero by hiding her identity. I've skimmed later scenes and know that she somehow manages to get a job entertaining (dancing, not whoring) at a brothel. And who knows what else she does. It's just too much too believe.

And the twin thing and the fact that no one, not even the heroine, can tell Nick and Christopher apart is driving me nuts. Plus the storyline is boring me to tears. But it's how historically unrealistic the book is that's killing it. Even the dialogue often seems too modern. I skimmed a few parts later in the book and the ending, but I just can't read any more. So this one is going to be stuck in "did-not-finish" purgatory. Maybe I'll try to read another chapter or two now and then, but I've got much more interesting books waiting on my TBR shelf.
6 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ravished.

Pamela(AllHoney) I'm not sure why but I've never been able to get into Virginia Henley's books. I've tried in the past and stopped trying a long time ago. She is just one of those authors that I stay away from that others seem to like. Go figure!?!
I've read synopsis' of hers that sound good but like I've said I just don't "get" her.

jenjn79 This is the first time I've tried to read one of her books, and I'll not be reading another. I couldn't get through more than a chapter at a time. I made it to page 130-something and there wasn't a single thing redeemable about the book at that point. So I gave up.

message 3: by Eastofoz (new)

Eastofoz I've got two of her books on TBR: TEMPTED and THE HAWK AND THE DOVE --god I hope they're better than the one you read here Isis :(

message 4: by Julianna (new)

Julianna I just saw a couple of her books at the library book sale today. I'm thinking now that I'm glad I passed them by.

Julie (jjmachshev) I'm like Pam, never managed to get into her books
J

jenjn79 I can usually find at least 1 thing good about a book even if I don't really like it, but this one, there wasn't a single thing redeemable about the parts that I read. The heroine's actions were beyond ridiculous.

Luckily, the book I started reading today is much better. But I don't plan on trying to read Henley again anytime soon.

message 7: by Daisiemae (new)

Daisiemae Yeah, she is either a hit or miss with me...most of the time she is a miss. Great review though...:)

message 8: by new_user (new)

new_user Whoa! Thanks for the warning, Isis. I'll probably take her off my TBR. It's too bad too, I heard so much about this author. Ah, well...

message 9: by Kathrynn (new)

Kathrynn I read her book, "Infamous" and like you described here, it was atypical. It was a medieval and the young girl, I think 17, too, snuck into the men's bath house to see the naked men. She fell in love with the hero who was a lot older than her (that's typical for that period). They fell in love quickly, but her family interfered and both thought the other changed their mines (marriage).

She married someone else! Has a very unsatisfying sex life with hubby. About 12 months or so into the marriage he is killed, she has an affair with others. Thought she would have an affair with her husband's family members, including father-n-law, thank goodness that didn't come to be (almost though). She does have an affair with the "Bonnie Prince" and gets pregnant by him. Due to the "fate of the Scotland" they decide it would be best for him to marry another and she is left alone, pregnant when the hero (Guy) re-enters her life.

All this took place over several years. YEARS.

See? Very Abbey Normal. I stayed with it to see how it would unfold, but I didn't care for it. And have passed on her books since.

jenjn79 new_user...a lot of readers seem to LOVE her books, but what I read of that one made me never want to read another book of hers.

Kathrynn...that book you read sounds in some ways similar to the one I read (the H/H taking forever to get together, the very forward heroing, etc). Doesn't sound like something I'd enjoy...plus, I don't plan to read Henley ever again ;)