Michelle's Reviews > Oystercatchers

Oystercatchers by Susan  Fletcher

Jul 23, 11

Read in April, 2011

This is the story of Moira, told at her comatose sister's bedside. Moira was an only child until the age of 11, and was by all accounts, an unusual child, likely borderline autistic spectrum disorder. She is brilliant, but has trouble with relationships and her world is devastated by the birth of her sister. When the opportunity comes to leave the local village school and go to boarding school, she goes as far away as possible, feeling betrayed by her parents and unable at all to relate to her sister. Moira adapts to the new school, but has few friends with the exception of the biology teacher, and her aunt, who seems to understand some of her uniqueness. She again has trouble relating to the girls her own age and on her visits home, fails to connect with her sister Amy. As she gets older, she meets a young man by following the other girls as they sneak out at night. He becomes fascinated with her and writes to her of his travels around the world. Moira falls for him and marries young, throwing away her university career to be with Ray. She again struggles with relationships which lead her to some devastating mistakes, which she deeply regrets. I know some people have had a difficult time with an "unlikeable" protagonist, but I found her to be just different, fragile and somewhat flawed. The only time I really did not understand her behavior is when she gave up the things she loved to get married, but her need to connect when she has never really been close to anyone makes sense and is a bit heartbreaking. I enjoyed this and hope others will see past the initial look at Moira to see the human being that lies beneath.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Oystercatchers.