Dorothy's Reviews > Flowers from the Storm

Flowers from the Storm by Laura Kinsale

Jul 28, 11

I think the main reason why I enjoyed the book was the realistic portrayal of a stroke - the difficulties in recovering speech/motor movement and the frustration that Jervaulx felt when nobody but Maddie realized he didn't lose his mind! The author did a great job in describing the feelings a person might go through post-stroke...

*Note: Spoilers here!
I thought the romance between Maddie and Jervaulx was nice but it really was based on the fact that Jervaulx had a stroke. If he didn't have the stroke, I'm not sure that he would've even looked 2x at Maddie. That definitely bothered me, especially when I felt like Maddie's only connection to Jervaulx was his math aptitude (which reminded her of her dad) and her compassion for his situation. The whole perspective of trying to act on your calling also kind of lessened the romantic aspect for me. It seems like any calling a person might go on would require a big chunk of compassion/love and I think Maddie just needed to have more experiences outside of her sheltered life. That said, the thee-thou Quaker bit was interesting to read. I wonder if its historically accurate?

P.S. My favorite character is definitely J's grandmother. My not-so-favorite character is J's mom.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Flowers from the Storm.