Kurt's Reviews > Atomic Robo and the Fightin' Scientists of Tesladyne

Atomic Robo and the Fightin' Scientists of Tesladyne by Brian Clevinger

Jul 23, 11

This is a zany and big-hearted book, with a metal hero bounding around and shooting ray guns at robots and giant insects and mummies, and I love it. I've heard many comparisons to Hellboy, but since I've never read that title, I can only talk about this book on its own merits. The art, for example, is terrific, very simple figures with big ears and strong jawlines, and there is a lot of energy on the page. Which is pretty important when the writing has such a similarly high energy level. There is an over-arching plot, but it expects a reader in issue four to remember the visuals of one panel in issue one, along with a particular name that I honestly converted in my head to "Generic Nazi villain name" every time I read it (I read this book in short bursts over a few days, so I was lost at the return of the big villain, and I had to go back to the beginning to catch that I had seen him before). Even with that issue, though, the story is a lot of fun, the heroes are basically indestructible, the humor is very funny at a level that feels like real life and not a sitcom, and I could loan this book to anyone and feel confident.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Atomic Robo and the Fightin' Scientists of Tesladyne.