Kurt's Reviews > Daredevil: The Devil's Hand

Daredevil by Andy Diggle

Jul 23, 11

Andy Diggle has a phenomenal grasp of Daredevil, and this first collection of the author's stories about my favorite comic book hero exceeded all of my expectations. It begins with a one-shot from the Dark Reign era, where Norman Osborn did random evil things while superheroes complained about how bad things were, but the story actually matters in this case, as it ends with a traumatic event (and even with a silly set-up, the event is powerful and devastating) that leads directly into the next storyline. That next storyline, by the way, is blow-your-mind crazy, and I love it. I don't think The Hand are often used well, as writers generally just bring them in when they want their heroes to look tougher by killing a bunch of ineffective ninjas in a big fight scene, but Diggle seems to instinctively grasp all of the strengths in the concept, and he not only lets the ninja organization seethe with menace and intrigue, he also uses that to draw out the darker aspects of Matt Murdock. I know that immediately after this collection, Marvel brought out the Shadowland crossover to show the street-level heroes responding to the changes in Daredevil's life, so this book could easily have felt like simple water-treading as the creative team waited for the big fun crossover. Instead, it feels like a deliberately paced and comprehensive way to put Daredevil in a position that feels real while also feeling big enough that nothing short of a crossover could end it. Diggle has written a collection here that should thrill any Daredevil fan, even ones who generally dislike the ninja-based aspects of his mythology.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Daredevil.