Kurt's Reviews > Oz. The Marvelous Land of Oz

Oz. The Marvelous Land of Oz by Eric Shanower

Jul 23, 11

A few months ago, I read the first Oz adaptation by this creative team (Shanower writing and Young drawing), and I was underwhelmed. I loved Young's beautiful and otherworldly figures, but the dialogue was awkward and the story was strangely formulaic. The art outweighed the words, though, so I asked for a copy of this next collection as a gift. It is phenomenal and well worth a read. Once again, the main selling point is the art, as Young is skilled both at capturing wild action scenes and at using simple arched eyebrows to add layers of menace to a scene of dialogue. In a departure from the first volume, though, Shanower really makes Baum's words work in a contemporary setting. Characters tell funny jokes back and forth, and the women's army is particularly hilarious because it is presented as far too silly to be taken offensively. This is a book with wonder and heart and a little danger and a lot of humor, and I highly recommend it. My only word of warning for new readers is that the cover gallery in the back, while beautiful, has some major spoilers that I wouldn't have seen coming, and I wish I had waited to finish the story before taking in the covers.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Oz. The Marvelous Land of Oz.