Kurt's Reviews > Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency

Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency by Douglas Adams

Jul 23, 11

This book has all of the random lunacy of the best of the Hitchhiker Trilogy, and I love it. The story, such as it is, is that a man is murdered, and in the aftermath, his friend meets up with a holistic detective who may be completely brilliant and may be psychic and may be a liar and is probably a little of each. They wander around for a bit, mostly to give Adams the chance to skewer the education system, the practical details of life as a ghost, the standard elements of detective noir, and mankind's willingness to make machines do everything we don't like to do (the best example: The Electric Monk, who will believe anything, even contradictory notions, so that you don't have to). There are musings about the origin of mankind, especially toward the end, and I do think that the book suffers a bit when Adams starts tying together the many threads of his narrative, being painfully obvious in a few places and a bit too subtle in others, but this is still a strong and very funny book that made me chuckle out loud more than once, and I highly recommend it for anyone who enjoyed the first three Hitchhiker books.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency.