Kurt's Reviews > Chew, Vol. 3: Just Desserts

Chew, Vol. 3 by John Layman

Dec 04, 13

I love this gory, quirky, mysterious little series, and I especially love that this collection returns to the relatively straightforward police procedural stuff that worked so well in the first volume. I liked volume two, but it was an unwelcome change of setting for me, and a veering off into monster movie and sci-fi themes, when this book works best at its most grounded. This volume, in which Tony begins a romantic relationship (complete with hilarious/disturbing flashbacks to a prior relationship) and introduces the reader to more of his family members as he tries to track down his arch-nemesis, hits all of the Chew strengths that I love. The social dynamics of the FDA office progress in a way that is both believable (within the realms of this book's mythology) and completely bonkers (compared to real life), which is what Layman and Guillory are so great at, and I giggled with satisfied glee at the introduction of an illegal underground gourmet dining club that showed how rich this fictional world is. This book is not a safe place for new readers to engage with the series, but it is terrific for those who have read the first volumes, especially for those who were a little disappointed with volume two. I eagerly anticipate the next book in this series.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Chew, Vol. 3.