Heidi's Reviews > Surrendering to Motherhood: Losing Your Mind, Finding Your Soul

Surrendering to Motherhood by Iris Krasnow

Jun 13, 07

bookshelves: nonfiction-memoir, nonfiction-parenting
Recommended for: anyone contemplating motherhood
Read in June, 2007

I really want to give this 3.5 stars, because I really liked it, but it dragged at the end. (I started thinking, "Ok, I get your point, you don't have to say it over and over 5 different ways.")

I stumbled across this book at the library, and since, like the author I'm in my mid-30s and considering parenthood, it seemed like a good fit. Krasnow is very honest about her struggle between her career ambitions and raising her sons, and while she ultimately chooses full-time parenthood, she does not preach that all mothers should stay home full-time. What she does say, however, is that mothers of young children especially need to be careful not to miss their children's childhood, whether that means staying home full-time or cutting back your work schedule enough that you can be fully present for your children and not constantly distracted with work.

I plan to buy this and keep it next to Anne Lamott's Operating Instructions when I have children.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Surrendering to Motherhood.