Bruce Snell's Reviews > The Closers

The Closers by Michael Connelly

Jul 23, 11

Read in June, 2011

This is the 11th book in the Michael Connelly's Harry Bosch series. Harry is reinstated to the LAPD, working in the Open Unsolved (Cold Case) division. Harry has been warned that he is on probation again, and that rocking the boat will not be tolerated, so (of course) his first case takes him into a history of racial problems, LADP cover-up and the possibility of the case being intentionally left unsolved for political reasons. But Harry is back, and fearless in his knowledge that they can't do anything to him except retire him again, so he moves forward to a solution. Obviously this is a police procedural, and in keeping with Connelly's other works, we see the negative effects of politics on police work - only this time we see the possibility of a light at the end of the tunnel (will it turn out to be an oncoming train - we will have to wait for another book to find out). I like Connelly's work - he presents a bleak picture of LAPD politics, but we also see one man (Harry) who continues to strive despite knowing that he will never change anything, he will only solve one case at a time - and that will have to be enough. All in all, a good read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Closers.