Becky's Reviews > Stolen

Stolen by Lucy Christopher

Jul 27, 11

bookshelves: sl-county-library-challeng
Read from July 23 to 27, 2011

Maybe 3.5 stars. This book puzzles me. Honestly my favorite character was the camel. Camel? In a book that is set in the Australian Outback? Who knew? I was very moved when the camel came into the plot and moved when she left.

Anyway, I was reading along thinking I didn't much like this book. First, I'm not supposed to like the kidnapper, right? Then, the main character, Gemma, the victim of the kidnapping, is not very appealing. She is the narrator of this story and doesn't even make herself appealing. She seems to just be a teen who gets drunk with her friends. There is not much else she describes about herself.

These are nearly the only two characters in the book, thus the camel is my favorite. But not by default, I did like the camel of her own right.

The other character in this book not to be ignored is the Outback itself. The descriptions of this tough, unforgiving, sandy, hot land were very effective and well written.

But then in the last 20-30 pages, I started to think a lot about this kidnapping situation, and the characters seemed more raw and maybe, real. This may be a book that sticks with me.

I am intrigued by the Stockholm Syndrome. This is the second book in a month where I've read about kidnapping, where the kidnappers are not cruel or abusive to their victims and relationships are formed. Yes, I know these are fiction books, but it is an interesting topic.

Anyway, I am not sorry I read this, though I am not sure I am recommending it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Stolen.

07/26/2011 page 162