Margaret Sankey's Reviews > The Whites of Their Eyes: The Tea Party's Revolution and the Battle over American History

The Whites of Their Eyes by Jill Lepore

Jul 23, 2011

it was ok

After Gordon Wood's scathing review of this, I had to read it for myself. I agree with Lepore that the American Revolution has been grossly misinterpreted (but not for the first time) for current political use, and it is quite creepy how the ""founders"" have been made contemporary (the ""what would Benjamin Franklin think of the internet"" school of crap publishing), but Lepore's infiltration and sneering are as much a part of the problem as the people she's making fun of. We have a responsibility (and some of you have recently sat through my World History survey of the Am Rev) to teach seminal stuff like this well and give people the tools to go further rather than mock them as cretins if they don't agree--I hope my "lure them in with muskets, then bring out the Paine and Locke" work better than being snide with the choir.
2 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Whites of Their Eyes.

03/04 marked as: read