Amy L. Campbell's Reviews > Robopocalypse

Robopocalypse by Daniel H. Wilson

Jul 26, 11

bookshelves: 2011, blogged, reviewed
Read from July 23 to 25, 2011

Despite some fairly cardboard characters (particularly for the few people of color), it was easy to become invested in the plot, which really did all the heavy lifting in this narrative. I do think the contrivance of finding the "black box" was unnecessary, and it seems to have been dropped as we shift from Cormac Wallace telling what he sees in the Archos memory bank to flat out first person narrative. It was unnecessary to go through not one, but two, different viewpoint filters (Cormac and the Robot) and would have been a stronger story just to allow the characters to speak on their own.

However, this was a fun read and since it was supposed to be a fun read, it achieved its goal. And it is obvious that Wilson enjoyed playing with the robots and what they can and might be able to do.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Robopocalypse.

Quotes Amy L. Liked

Daniel H. Wilson
“Memories fade but words hang around forever.”

Daniel H. Wilson
“How much change can a person absorb before everything loses meaning Living for its own sake isn't life. People need meaning as much as they need air.”

Daniel H. Wilson
“No matter how much kids beg to be treated like adults, nobody likes to let go of their childhood. You wish for it and dream of it and the second you have it, you wonder what you've done. You wonder what it is you've become.”

Daniel H. Wilson
“The true knowledge is not in the things, but in finding the connections between the things.”

Daniel H. Wilson
“The human beings who appear in the data, survivors or not, are grouped under one machine designated classification:
Hero.
These damn machines knew us and loved us, even while they were tearing our civilization to shreds.”

Daniel H. Wilson
“The monsters want to talk, to share what happened. They want me to remember and write it all down.”

Daniel H. Wilson
“I can only give you words. Nothing fancy. But this will have to do.

It doesn't matter if you're reading it a year from now or a hundred years from now. By the end of the chronicle you will know that humanity carried the flame of knowledge into the terrible blackness of the unknown, to the very brink of annihilation. And we carried it back.”