Ana Mardoll's Reviews > Thinline Bible-NIV

Jul 23, 11

bookshelves: mom
Read in July, 2011

New International Version Bible / 0310435641

I bought this eBook version for my mother during a Kindle sale, and I'm really thrilled with how easy it is to read and navigate. The Table of Contents lists each book of the Bible at the front of the file; once you drill down to the book you want, you can then hyperlink to the actual chapter you desire. It's incredibly easy to pick up, very intuitive, and that easy navigation is so crucial when dealing with a 1,000+ pages of eBook.

I really like the formatting here. Zondervan has kept their "section headings" in place so the text isn't just broken up by chapter-and-verse but also by the topical sections. I never did see an example of footnotes -- but I grew up with the "study version" so maybe that doesn't come standard with this one. I think it's just as well; my mother wouldn't want to be hyperlinking back and forth between pages and notes.

For myself, I like this translation, and I appreciate that Zondervan made an attempt at gender-neutrality where appropriate. There's really no point in arguing about this -- either you're going to prefer "let HIM take up HIS cross" or you'll prefer "let THEM take up THEIR cross", so pick which one you prefer and stick with that translation.

If you're looking for a well-formatted eBook version of the Bible, you could do a lot worse than this version here. Four stars for stellar formatting and one extra star for reminding us that women read the Bible, too.

~ Ana Mardoll
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Thinline Bible-NIV.