Anne-Marie's Reviews > Harry Potter: Film Wizardry

Harry Potter by Brian Sibley

Aug 11, 11

bookshelves: fantasy, nonfiction
Read from August 02 to 11, 2011

This book was AMAZING!! It was so beautifully made. In fact, the format of the book was designed by the two people who made the props for all the Harry Potter movies. There were great pictures of early sketches and concept art made by the art department that worked on the films and plenty of obscure facts for the big fans of the series.

Each page spread is about either a character or one of the movie scenes. I loved the facts about each actor. For example, there was a story about Emma Watson when she was making the second movie. When filming began, she had a pet hamster that she brought to the set every day. Sadly, it died before Chamber of Secrets came out in theaters. When the prop makers heard what happened, they created a tiny coffin for the hamster and carved little designs all over it. Then the whole film crew along with Emma Watson buried it together outside Leavesden Film Studios.

Also, the book showed how much DETAIL was put into ray movie set, prop, and costume. At the beginning of Order of the Phoenix, Unbridge's costume is very light pink. But as she gets eviller and eviller, her outfits become a darker and nastier pink. I never noticed that before.. I'll have to watch for it next time I see OotP!!

Even the kittens shown on the plates in Umbridge's office were given so much thought! The prop makers researched old European plate designs and recreated them to make 134 different plates. Then they took hundreds of pictures and videos of dozens of different kittens. They bought hundreds of props (i.e., little hats and balls of yarn and candles) to set alongside the kittens as well. Then they filmed the plates with a green screen on them and later spent two weeks editing in the films where the screens should have been. All that for one prop that is just in the background of a single movie!

Anyways, I obviously recommend this to all you peeps. It inspired me to be a set designer when I grow up... Come back in 20 years and we can see how that has worked out.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Harry Potter.