Amalia's Reviews > Unearthly

Unearthly by Cynthia Hand

Dec 31, 11

bookshelves: favorites, magical, paranormal, romance, young-adult, fantasy
Recommended for: Everyone
Read from December 28 to 29, 2011

4.5 stars!

First thoughts
Sounded like a typical YA paranormal-angel love-triangle kind of romance book. I didn't have any high expectations and was ready to prepare myself with an early disappointment because I'm really sick of all the angel books I've read. The only reason I bought this was because almost everyone shelved this book as their favourite.

Characters
At first I thought Clara was a bit whiny about her appearence and I was deadlock worried I was going to be annoyed by it. I surprised myself by actually LOVING her. She was a kickass awesome main character. Despite that she's a part-angel and has all this superhuman abilities, she's much like your average teenage girl that a lot of us can relate to. She has flaws, definitely not perfect. Very realistic.

All characters like Christian, Tucker, her Mom (can I just pinpoint that she might be the coooolest fictional Mom ever introduced in YA books?!) felt very alive. Cynthia Hand also made minor characters felt very important and they were all 3-dimensional with personalities of their own.

I also love the wittiness in Clara's brother, Jeffrey!

For the first time ever, I've never hated a single character in a book. I didn't even mind that Kay Patterson (supposedly the meanest girl in school) was being a total b-i-a-t-c-h the whole time. It's a character that we all love to hate.

Plot
WHOA. It threw me off. No jokes. I kept predicting this and that and which guy Clara's surely going to end up with but yet, it gave me the complete opposite. This love-triangle "which team guy you're going to side with" is kinda hard to pick too. Which was why the ending left such a big question in my head.

You really get that paranormal vibe going on in this book. I can say a lot of the stuff Cynthia Hand created was very original and interesting. I love for once that a girl is the angel (part-angel at least) and has an actual purpose on earth to do rather than chase a cute guy...

Loved how the author made readers think how they thought they know what's going to happen and then BAM, a different surprise awaits them.

Writing style
Do I even have to touch this? It was very descriptive but not in the irritating way. A few snarky comment here and there. Totally loved everything.

Overall comment
Although this review made it seem as if this book is perfect, it's not. It has a few minute flaws that I couldn't quite put a ring to it. Other than that, this books is almost flawless !

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Unearthly.

Quotes Amalia Liked

Cynthia Hand
“Tucker: "But she gave me the perfect gift."
Clara: "What?"
Tucker: "You.”

Cynthia Hand
“So often we only do what we think is expected of us, when we are capable of so much more.”

Cynthia Hand
“Hey, you feel like driving today?" he asks. "I don't want to walk to the bus stop. It's too cold."
"You feel like dying today?"
"Sure. I like risking my life. Keeps things in perspective.”

Cynthia Hand
“Are you any good at it?"
"Pulling idiots out of the snow? I'm the best.”

Cynthia Hand
“I'm looking at you. Why are you always trying to hide how pretty you are?”

Cynthia Hand
“What do you see in a guy like Christian Prescott?" he asked me that night when he dropped me off from prom. And what he was really saying then, what would have come through loud and clear if I hadn't been so blind was, why don't you see me?

Cynthia Hand
“Insert the biggest, most awkward silence in the history of big awkward silences.”

Cynthia Hand
“Tucker," I say. "I'm so glad you're still here."
I throw myself into his arms. He hugs me tightly.
"I couldn't leave," he says.
"I know."
"I mean, literally. I don't have a ride.”

Cynthia Hand
“Tucker: "Today we ran into a mama grizzly with two cubs at the ridge off Colter Bay and Clara sang to it to make it go away."

Mrs. Avery: You sang to it?

Tucker: Her singing is that bad.”

Cynthia Hand
“Tucker: Is it okay to kiss you?

Clara: What?

Tucker: I won't get struck by lightning?

Clara: (laughs) No lightning.”

12/27/2011 page 13
12/28/2011 page 153
33.0% "Loving this book so far! Clara made me laugh more than several times. :)"
show 2 hidden updates…