Joe White's Reviews > Derailed

M_50x66
Jul 30, 11

bookshelves: fiction, donated
Read from July 22 to 30, 2011 — I own a copy

The narrative was told from a historical perspective. It seemed to me to be similar to the reminiscing of someone with a weak personality verging on a disorder problem. The character dialogs weren't really dialogs as they were related from the past tense.
I couldn't identify with the narrator/main character, and at best felt that he was an idiot stumbling into life and reacting in the worst way to situations.
I thought that the bad guys were given too much credit for making exactly the correct moves with perfect timing. They seemed to operate as an evil force whose presence was felt as a permeating vapor, perhaps something evil from a Stephen King novel.
The narrator's daughter had juvenile diabetes. A novel of this type wasn't the best medium to illustrate the cost and physical plight of raising a child with that condition.
I thought the ending in the last 90 or so pages had finally turned and was going to salvage the book. But the very final portion which clarified the book from the beginning was just another incredibly bad plot sequence that the narrator magically stumbled into.
The vast bulk of this book required speed reading on the order of about 2-3 lines per page to keep the reader in tune with the story line, as there was no compelling reason to keep turning the pages. When the book is put down, it is best forgotten.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Derailed.

07/23/2011 page 90
22.0% "Sat. 7/23/11 8:00 pm"
07/26/2011 page 208
50.0% "Tue. 7/26/11 3:00 pm"
07/28/2011 page 249
60.0% "Thur 3:00 pm 7/28/11"