Burton Bargerstock's Reviews > The Tudors: The Complete Story of England's Most Notorious Dynasty

The Tudors by G.J. Meyer

Jul 23, 11

bookshelves: social-science

I enjoyed Meyer's book. It's an extraordinarily accessible piece, demanding little previous study of the period. I agree with others who have pointed out that the author spends most of his time (detail and commentary) on Henry VIII, and that this is unfortunate. After reading it, Henry seemed much more three dimensional than Elizabeth. This is curious, given the author's assertion at the outset of the importance of considering the entire dynasty as a whole. Still, there is much to commend here. I particularly appreciated the treatment of the English monarchy's break with Rome, through its many twists and turns. The thread on the economics of the dynasty was also interesting. Finally, I really liked the form. Meyer's chapters alternate between his continuous narrative and "background" chapters, providing welcomed context. Very nice. I would recommend this book to anyone who has a general interest in the subject matter, but further reading may be desired.
3 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Tudors.