Dylan Justice's Reviews > The Search for WondLa

The Search for WondLa by Tony DiTerlizzi

Jul 26, 11

Read from July 23 to 26, 2011 — I own a copy, read count: 1

I absolutely love children's fantasy, so as soon as I saw the cover for The Search for Wondla, I immediately went and picked the book up from Borders. The hardback book is 477 pages and had a price on it of $17.99. I've never read anything by Ton DiTerlizzi before, but as I flipped through the illustrations, I knew that I was going to like his style.

The main character in the book is a young girl, named Eva Nine, who has been raised in an underground sanctuary all her life with just her robot caretaker for company. Eva Nine longs to know what the outside world is like and one day, due to certain events, she is forced to find out. Nothing outside is at all what she expected and there is not a single human to be found. During her journey to find more like herself, she befriends strange creatures and must escape some dangerous situations.

DiTerlizzi created an unique and extraordinary world. I was more interested in what other creatures might be on the next page than I was in what was happening with the characters. This was due not to the story being in anyway boring, but to the fact that it was really hard to become attached to any of the characters. Their emotions were a bit confusing and insincere throughout most of the book, but then again, I am reviewing this as a twenty-one year old woman when the book is actually intended for middle school children. I'm sure anything more may be overpowering for a young audience. Despite this, the author did finish on a strong note. Emotions run high in the books ending and definitely will have the reader awaiting the next addition to this series.

In conclusion, I would definitely love to share this book with my son when he is older. Orbona is a strange, but beautiful place. As an adult, I thoroughly enjoyed taking a few minutes to look over each and every picture in the book. It was wonderful to DiTerlizzi's actual vision. A younger audience will definitely enjoy the story and I'm sure they'll eat up the virtual maps you can find on the book's website by holding certain pictures in the book up to a webcam. If Good Reads had half stars, I would definitely rate this book at three and half stars and will be anticipating the arrival of the second book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Search for WondLa.