Eva Leger's Reviews > Blue Blood

Blue Blood by Edward Conlon

Jul 24, 11

bookshelves: autos-bios-memoirs, b-non-fiction, police
Read from July 16 to 21, 2011

I really wanted to rate this four or five stars. Three at the very least. I just can't. Conlon seems like an awesome guy and an awesome cop. He can write well. But there are parts - looong parts - included here that just didn't interest me.
I started this because I wanted to read about Conlon's police experiences and maybe a little about his life in general. I got that but those were such small parts. Granted, they were many, but just so, so small.
In between these parts that I liked reading I had to wade through the history of the NYPD (not interesting to me in the least beyond a brief outline) and I had to wade through the lives and experiences of others who were in Conlon's family and other ex-police/security guards/in-some-way-shape-or-form-civic-duty-job types. Again, not interesting to me. At all.
Conlon likes to write and this is obvious when reading. The problem is he likes to write so much that he goes on and on and on and inserts things that just don't interest the average reader picking this up. If a reader was a history of the NYPD he or she won't pick up a cop memoir. If someone wants a cop memoir they won't pick up a text on the history of the NYPD. Both are here yet it's a memoir.
I liked reading about his teammates, the police he came into contact with, but I didn't like reading about some guy from 1920 who may or may not have been corrupt. :(
I love police related non-fiction but this just wasn't for me. If someone wants the "whole" bit - part memoir/part textbook/part whatever else - I'd say this is it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Blue Blood.