Melissa Lee-tammeus's Reviews > The Pursuit of Other Interests: A Novel

The Pursuit of Other Interests by Jim Kokoris

Oct 02, 11

bookshelves: on-my-shelf-at-home

This book is so relevant to today's society - I actually checked the date to see when it was made. This came out in 2009 and it could have been written yesterday for as much as it speaks to what so many are going through - a humorous, heartfelt, touching story about an older man who loses his job (sound realistic enough for ya?) that he has literally lived for. He doesn't know his wife, his kid, and now he is forced to realize how much he has lost, and not just on the job front. It is not as depressing as it seems - it is punchy and the lead character is borderline hypochondriac and manic which makes for some laugh out loud moments. The dialogue is some of the best I've read in a long time - true to life and comical as hell. I actually have gone back to read some scenes I just loved (I NEVER do that!) If you liked the movie "Office Space" but have grown up a little since then, this may be just the ticket for you.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Pursuit of Other Interests.