Rolls's Reviews > Pride and Prejudice

Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen

Mar 12, 07

Recommended for: Anyone who is unafraid to be seen reading this on the subway
Read in February, 2007

"Pride and Prejudice" by Jane Austen started off annoying me and ended up enchanting me. Up until about page one hundred I found this book vexing, frivolous and down right tedious. I now count myself as a convert to the Austen cult.

I must confess I have been known to express an antipathy for anything written or set before 1900. I just cannot get down with corsets, outdoor plumbing and buggy rides. Whenever someone dips a quill into an inkwell my eyes glaze over. This is a shortcoming I readily own up to but have no desire to correct. So I admit to not starting this book with the highest of hopes. I did really enjoy Ang Lee's "Sense and Sensibility" however and so when my friend threw the gauntlet down I dutifully picked it up.

Boy did I hate him at first. To get anywhere with this book one has to immerse oneself in the realities of life and marriage in the nineteenth century. At first all this talk of entailment and manners just left me cold. I liked the language to be sure. Austen's dialogue is delightful through out but dialogue alone (no matter how delicious) does not a great novel make.

A hundred pages or so in though I started to see what a shrewd eye for character this Austen woman had. Mr. Collins was the first person I marvelled at. His character springs forth fully formed as a total but somehow loveable ass. From that point on I found much to love about this book. I was so into it by the end that I was laughing at some characters, sympathizing with others and clucking my tongue at an unhappy few. In short I was completely absorbed.

In conclusion I must now count myself a fan of Miss Austen's novels (and not just their fim adaptations) and do so look forward to acqauinting myself with more of her work in the future. "Emma" anyone?

Comments (showing 1-35)

dateUp_arrow    newest »

Nafisat I am short of words the book is just perfect it is the bomb.

message 34: by Ada (last edited Mar 22, 2008 10:54AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ada I so laughed at the "...cannot get down with corsets..." part. The first time I read this book was a task for me as well (assigned and demanded by an ornery HS teacher). I thought the very first chapter rather daunting and taxing to read, but half way through I was completely converted. Now it’s a yearly obsession. A book that demands reading whenever the world makes no sense.

Elizabeth This is my favorite review on Goodreads.

Rolls Hey Elizabeth!

I haven't been on Goodreads in ages and noticed that you said that my review of "Pride and Prejudice" was favorite review on Good reads. I am so flattered. Hopefully I can keep up the good work. You've made my day kid. Thanks.

Rolls

Elizabeth Rolls, you have a gift! I'd read your stuff any day. Have a great one :) E

Annie YOU sir, have a talent with words. I'm finding many people here on Goodreads do ...

Your review is delicious. Pride and Prejudice is the kind of book that can win converts like that. It is relatable to almost everyone ... including men, which is not a small thing for a classic romance novel! You have done it justice. Thank you.

Annie PS: if you haven't picked up any others, Emma is a good one. Persuasion though ... has my heart. Pride and Prejudice is much more ... full ... than Persuasion (greater cast of characters, greater scope) but story of Persuasion is so excellent. And do yourself a favor. DO NOT watch any version of Persuasion before reading the book. Please. None of them have done it justice.

message 28: by Sara (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sara I was like you when I started out trying to read this one (totally afraid of corsets and things...maybe you should check my own review). I appreciate reviews from people that can admit they weren't really willing to give it a chance at first--and then are totally won over by the downright fantastic literature before them. Thanks for writing such a review, and giving Austen a chance. I'm glad I did!

Shelby Mack I totally agree!!!! and the sarcasm is crazily crazily hilarious.
thanks for writing a good review

Katharina yeah, I had the same problem with the book, up until page 100 or so I just saw it as a book about some frivolous girls who basically have somewhat the same problems with men as girls have today (somewhat!). I have had the same problem with Austen's Sense and Sensibility, but when it gets to page 90 - 100 I start getting into it and then I can't stop reading and when I am done with the books I end up loving them. Next up I'll be reading Austen's Persuasion and I already know now that'll probably be the same thing :-)

Angie Loved this review!

Roberta Thanks for a good laugh. I laughed out loud at your 2nd paragraph. My sentiments exactly.

message 23: by Mikey (new) - added it

Mikey I am now officially adding this to my list. And I promise to read it on the subway.

Laura This is a wonderful review, indeed. I loved Emma just as much as Pride and Prejudice, perhaps even a bit more. I hope you did end up reading it or will in the near future.

LeeAnn thanks for giving me incentive to keep reading. I was beginning to wonder why this book is so loved, but Im only on p. 50 or so...

astrangerhere Your review made this cranky lawyers day. Aside from your wonderful analysis and discussion, I laughed out loud at your "recommended for" quote. I'm about to re-read this book for The Next Best Book Club, and your review made me look forward to it even more.

message 19: by Seberina (new) - added it

Seberina Ponce I was looking for something good to read and when I saw your review, I was immediately taken with the idea of reading P&P! I can't wait to start!

Laura Your witty, dishy review of P&P is the first I have ever "liked" or commented on, Rolls. Thanks for showing us that Jane Austen's best work is not a stuffy, parlor piece, but a frolicking romp of manners meant for everyone.

Jason "Book Sniper" Thanks for your review. I just started to read it and wanted a honest review. I glad I ran into yours. Thanks!

Katie I am sincerely hoping that the book improves as you say. I'm 19% through it (have no idea around what page that is) and it's painful to continue. I'm bored as I'm reading.

Since I thoroughly enjoyed your review, I am hoping I find the same thing you did - improvement. :-)

Micha I feel the same way about Mr. Collins! I could not bring myself to hate him, I simply felt sorry for his ridiculous and sometimes irritating behavior! It's nice to see others are along for the ride ^_^

message 14: by Monie (new)

Monie M Great review! I am starting this book now and I'm totally into corsets and buggy rides so it looks like this will be a Goodread!

Sarah nice review ^__^ i liked this book from the first time i have read it .. till now cant get bored from it ... i like mr.darcy soo much he and elizabeth are really good combination

Camila What a wonderfully honest and refreshing review!

If what drew you into Pride and Prejudice was the cast of characters, I would highly recommend Emma. There are countless Mr. Collinses, and I think Emma herself is a much more interesting heroine than Lizzy. And the story provides more of a social commentary than other Austen works. It is even somewhat satirical. Its a great read!

Just thought I'd chime in--in case you still haven't read it in the 5 years that have elapsed since you wrote this review!! :)

message 11: by Mari (new)

Mari Rost i had a lot of fun while i was reading this book :))

Shawntaye Hopkins I started reading reviews because I've read about 50 pages of this book and needed a reason to continue. Thanks. I'm looking forward to getting the first 100 or so pages over with. :-)

message 9: by Nishtha (new) - added it

Nishtha Kaushik I really did not like reading the first about hundred pages of the book but it surely ended enchanting me. Still I would never go for a second read of the book.

message 8: by Johngarst (new)

Johngarst I am 80, male, married, educated to the PhD level in chemistry, inveterate reader of just about everything. I have read PP at least five times (lost count), and I intend to read more.

Diana My thoughts on this book are starting out like yours, so you've inspired me to continue on. Thank you.

Juhi The only thing I have to say about your review is "Oh.My.God! Me too!" Except, of course, the part about your friend. Him/her, I don't know. I started reading this book because I had to review it for a class. I don't think i would have picked it up otherwise.
Okay, I'm gonna stop now. Oh! One more thing. In case I haven't made it clear, I LOVE your review.

Vanessa glad to know another Austen convert. I read Emma as an adult. Never read any Austen as a teen (which many Austen fans start then). You should join the Jane Austen Society of North America (JASNA). You would get a kick out of it.

Blake Schreckhise I kind if had a reverse effect from the book. I started out loving it, then got a little annoyed, then loved it again!

DSantagata LOL

Mr. Collins is a buffoon and Miss Bingley is so catty. Love it.

Kara I was going to type up my own review but I really couldn't have summed up my feelings about the book any better than you did.

Anthony Keys Thanks Roll. I was just about to give up on this book before reading your comment. I will give it another go.