Tina's Reviews > Graffiti Moon

Sep 05, 11

bookshelves: borrowed, contemporary, best-2011, 2011, ya, romance
Read from July 30 to August 04, 2011

Original post at One More Page

The good thing about having book-lovers as friends here in the Philippines is despite the lack of availability, when someone manages to acquire it, it's easier to borrow instead of finding a way to buy it. That's what my book friends and I are doing now, especially for hard to find/buy books such as Aussie YA books. :) Thanks so much to Chachic for letting her copy of Graffiti Moon by Cath Crowley (and her other Aussie YA books) go around.

In Graffiti Moon we meet Lucy, who's about to graduate high school. We find her rushing after she receives a message from her instructor, rushing to meet Shadow, the mysterious graffiti artist whose paintings have touched Lucy's heart and made her feel an instant connection. Then her paths cross with Ed, the last person she wants to see because of their unfortunate shared past -- but he knows Shadow. And he can bring her to him. What follows is a long night full of heart-to-heart conversations, graffiti art viewing and a possible breaking-in and stealing. Lucy realizes that Ed isn't so bad and their shared past may just be a misunderstanding...but if she finds out who Ed really is, will she still think the same?

People often compare Graffiti Moon with Nick and Norah's Infinite Playlist , and it is an accurate comparison. What music is to Nick and Norah is art in this novel. I am not an artist, so it was kind of hard for me to imagine how Shadow's graffiti pieces look (seriously, I can only imagine them as crudely drawn images because they're from spray paint cans, but I'm pretty sure they all look better than what I can imagine). However, I liked that this book was relatable enough even without much art knowledge. I like it when a story makes use of a magical night for two people -- magical in the sense that they end up spending it together and realize that their preconceived notions about each other were all wrong, or at least, inaccurate. I liked that there was a lot of conversations done in this book that made the characters get to know each other, and it wasn't just love/crush at first sight and then followed by intimacy the next second.

Personally, I didn't like Lucy at first. I found her fascination of Shadow and her belief that she will fall in love with this person because of his art kind of annoying and unrealistic. Color me jaded, I guess. Or maybe just...eh, unromantic? Maybe it's the teenage idealism of love that got to me. I ended up liking her after some time, though, especially after she had more conversations with Ed. Even if it was all in the span of a night, it was still filled with conversations and shared adventures, and not just eye-contact and an "amazing" kiss that would make them declare their love for each other "forever and ever".

But as much as I liked Ed and Lucy in this book, my real favorites are Leo and Jazz, Ed's and Lucy's best friends. I guess it shows how much I am more of a sucker for words than for art, seeing that Leo is a poet. My favorite piece from all of his works in the book:
Almost

Your jokes kind of make me laugh
And your hair is faintly close to being cute
Your smile isn't half bad, either
You know, I almost, almost kind of like you

The dress you're wearing is short and sweet
And your boots are kind of cool
You're not, not turning me on
You know I almost, almost kind of like you

The way you dance definitely isn't stupid
I could maybe get used to the way you move
I'm not saying I've made up my mind
But you know, I almost, almost kind of like you (p 164-165)

I swear, Leo and Jazz are practically begging for a spin-off. Can I request for one, please?

Graffiti Moon will be released in the US by February 2012, but an e-galley of the book is available in NetGalley, so if you can't wait, sign up and get it! I still like the Australian cover of the book, though. And speaking of covers, look what I spotted in Madrid while I was bookstore hopping:

Graffiti Moon in Spanish :)

It took me a while to translate the book title, and if I hadn't seen the insides with Lucy/Ed/Poet headings, I wouldn't have recognized it. :)

Graffiti Moon is charming. It's one of those books that would leave the reader smiling, not because of a neatly-wrapped ending, but because of an ending full of possibilities. And possibilities are always good, right? :)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Graffiti Moon.

Quotes Tina Liked

Cath Crowley
“I don't believe him for a second, but I'm not telling Daisy that Dylan lied because I know what it's like to want a girl that much. To get dragged in the dirt behind her hoping you won't lose your grip.”
Cath Crowley, Graffiti Moon

08/01/2011 page 99
08/03/2011 page 166
68.0% ""...I almost, almost kind of like you." :)"
08/04/2011 page 244
100.0% "Okay, silly smile alert. :)"
show 1 hidden update…

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Tintin (new) - added it

Tintin It's one of those books that would leave the reader smiling, not because of a neatly-wrapped ending, but because of an ending full of possibilities.

Tina Tintin wrote: "You caught me there. I've just recently realized that this kind of ending is the best. Ever XD "

I know right? It gives more room for imagination (and sometimes, fanfiction, haha). :D

message 3: by Tintin (new) - added it

Tintin Tina wrote: (and sometimes, fanfiction, haha). :D"

Yes, that is THE reason XD