`. kateelynn *'s Reviews > A Child Called "It"

A Child Called "It" by Dave Pelzer

Apr 08, 08

Oh my god, what can I possibly say about this book? When I first started reading this book last year, I was just so hooked to it and I just wanted to know everything about this book. It was all about this author's childhood gone horrible with the extreme abuse, the torture and suffering. I really couldn't believe my eyes, the author described like, everything he went through, all the pain he had to go through, how he felt and everything. I could really understand how he felt but one thing about this book I don't get at all is how his own mother transformed from a loving mother to a nightmarish, abusive mother so quickly. I mean, the author was only, like a little boy when his mother started abusing him.

This book is extremely emotional and can make you feel so bad for the author and even cry so. This book was all about the author's childhood and how he survived through such abuse, starvation, and neglect. This also showed how bad things happen to good people - the author's own father didn't even help out at all - he was once a fun, loving fireman, turned into an alcoholic, carless father.

The only way for the author to get help was through school but the only thing that kept him from telling the school the truth was his fear of his mother going after him and make his life last through hell forever; even though the school sort of already knew, from all the bruises on him, him stealing the children's food because of hunger, from his mother starving the author and how he constantly uses identical/unreasonable lies about his bruises and wounds. He was pratically stabbed in the belly and had to go through such pain. His faith and hope kept him going & he never let his mother win this sick game.

In the end, he told the school the truth and he was finally taken out of the horrible home, with the abusive mother, two brothers that weren't treated horribly at all and the careless, alcoholic father - and put into a much better home - foster home. I loved this first book so much that I even continued on to the next book!
A lot of thanks goes to my teacher, for lending me the books - it's one of my most favorites!
46 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Child Called "It".

Emily Hav u read his other books?! They r really well written

ashlynn butcher i almost started to cry

message 3: by Kaleigh (new)

Kaleigh this is true!

Susie Huckaby i haven't been much of a book reader but was told about this book and cried i couldn't put the book down from start to finish and was hooked had get the other one he wrote i can't even imagine having a mother like that i can't speak for other readers but loved this book

Ericamary I agree with you it's so sad how his mother abused him and on some parts I even almost cried!!

message 6: by Juliet (new)

Juliet I think she changed because of her mental illness. That kind of sickness can make a person kill. Too bad she didn't get medication. I'm thinking of having my 9th graders read this as they've asked to read it. Any thoughts?

£L£NA ßL¥TH£ amazing review

Kristal Good book

Kristal Absolutely love this book

Zahara In my English class a few other students and I created a blog on the next two books in the series. If you`re interested, please check it out! I would appreciate any feedback.

message 11: by Lorie (new)

Lorie Dee Names of the other books please?