Carrie's Reviews > About That Night

Apr 22, 12

bookshelves: contemporary, read-2012, humorous, second-chances
Read from April 20 to 22, 2012

Grade A

About That Night only strengthens Julie James' place on my (very short) auto-buy author list. The steam factor in this book is definitely higher than her earlier works, and that's fun, but the real draw is the way James writes characters and dialogue. What James gives the readers is details that don't slow the story down, characters who are fully fleshed out and believable (complete with flaws), and a story line that makes sense. There was unfulfilled attraction when the two leads first met, but they don't pine away the intervening years. A chance meeting down the road brings the original attraction back, but it seems logical instead of forced. The obstacles to their relationship are real and not swept under the rug. Rylann, and Assistant District Attorney, does her best to keep the relationship within ethical bounds. (Thank you, Ms. James!)

Yes, the characters have some over-the-top Romancelandia traits: physical beauty, higher-than-average intelligence, money, sexual prowess, etc. And yes, these traits are a little too pat and a little boring to read about. However, it's a minor quibble and one that I've learned to live with in romance books. We rarely get books about older, larger, or less than perfect leads. Maybe someday.

It was fun to see characters from the first two books in this series. In fact it made me want to go back and reread them both. If I only had time!

Recommended!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read About That Night.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Norma Great review! I completely agree. And JJ has definitely earned her spot as auto buy. She's auto-reserve-ahead-of-time!