Carrie's Reviews > Waking Up With the Duke

Waking Up With the Duke by Lorraine Heath

Jan 25, 12

bookshelves: library-has-copy, fake-relationship-moc, historical, manipulative-friends-family, read-2012
Read from January 21 to 22, 2012

Several aspects of this book were well done and unique. The disabled husband, Walfort, for example, was a complex character, and Heath refrained from drawing him as either a good guy or a bad guy. He remains very human, being flawed and often selfish, but not unlikable.

The two main characters were good to begin with, balking at Walfort's suggestion of producing an heir, and the emotions seemed real. The first sex scene was awkward as one might think, and the "day time" relationship between them for the most part was gradually built. That part was quite enjoyable to read. However, the physical relationship made me yawn simply because it was so incredible.

Other parts of the book were cliched and formulaic. The resolution wasn't romantic (as well as being unbelievable), and the epilogue settles everybody's life too perfectly.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Waking Up With the Duke.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Hannah (last edited Jan 25, 2012 10:00AM) (new)

Hannah I am firmly cemented in my belief that Lorraine Heath is an author I should avoid. Not because she's a terrible writer (although she's not the greatest), but her characters annoy me. In the two books of hers that I've read, her characters just didn't act like normal people. They had these lapses in judgment that seemed completely at odds with their ages, levels of experience, and positions in society. This book sounds like it has the same problems.

Carrie Hmmm. I do see what you mean, and I'm not trying to nit-pick, but aren't "lapses in judgement" sort of the norm for romance novels? What I mean is, bad decisions often play an integral part of the plot line for many books (not just romances) and often provide the "conflict" of the story. Or are you meaning TSTL type lapses. ;-)

message 3: by Hannah (new)

Hannah Her characters don’t behave like ordinary people would. For example, consider Serena's certainty that Hunter will be pleased that she's pregnant in Smooth Talkin' Stranger, even though Hunter has made it totally clear that he doesn't want a family or any commitments whatsoever. I honestly couldn’t comprehend her train of thought during that part of the book.

Carrie Ah, yes, I see what you mean. Although, I really think there are people who are just that clueless. But I don't want to read about them, especially as main characters I'm suppose to admire or at least sympathize with. ;-)

message 5: by Hannah (new)

Hannah Precisely!