Miranda Clark's Reviews > Stuck on Earth

Stuck on Earth by David Klass

Jul 24, 11

Read in May, 2011

Klass does such a good job with this sci-fi psychological novel, that along with the main character, the reader begins to question what is in fact, real, and what is imagined. Set against the backdrop of a typical American high school, and told from the perspective of Kechvar II who is residing in the nasal passage of freshman Tom Filber, this story is at first glance unbelievable. Ketchvar’s voice is transparently adult-like, cold and condescending. One suspects that Klass had a hard time discerning how much an alien voice should really know and understand about humanity. The novel really begins to take off though when, like Ketchvar, the reader begins to become attached to Tom Filber and view humanity through the lens of this high school nerd. We wince when he is bullied and ostracized. We squirm while he is misunderstood by the school counselor who obviously suspects him of being potentially violent. Then we breathe sighs of relief as he begins to understand himself. Klass’s humorous, and sometimes biting commentary is painfully honest, yet hopeful.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Stuck on Earth.