Britt's Reviews > Overwinter

Aug 14, 2011

liked it
bookshelves: horror-and-suspense, fiction
Read from July 23 to August 14, 2011

I am torn with how to rate the Wellington Werewolves books... There is a part of me that is amazed and thoroughly enchanted with his take on werewolf lore--he shakes up traditional werewolf mythos and puts his own admirable twist on it. I love it.

Then there is a part of me that winces at the obvious plot devices that don't make much sense. (For example, the grandiose military elements that he more or less glosses over? Weird, right?) I realize this is kind of silly to say... I mean, it IS a book about werewolves, so maybe I can't really complain about the "unrealistic" elements of the book... (Oh, what the heck, yes I can complain about that.)

Also, as a writer, I am surprised by how much Wellington "tells" instead of "shows."

Example (not actually text from the book):

Chey became very angry. [TELLING]
VERSUS
Chey huffed as she walked away, kicking a stone out of her path with an exaggerated swing of her leg. [SHOWING]

Wellington, dude... Show. Don't tell. Writing 101.

Still, overall, it's a good romp of a story and I recommend it to anyone who loves werewolves and wants to see something "a little different" done with the topic. :)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Overwinter.