Michelle's Reviews > The Reluctant

The Reluctant by C.S. Splitter

Jul 24, 11

bookshelves: america, contemporary, indies, goodreads-authors
Read from July 23 to 24, 2011

Well-written, great plot, with some unexpected twists. The Reluctant is the first in what promises to be a series of novels about Tom Crayder, a pretty much average, generally well-intentioned guy who is as prone to making ill-advised decisions as the next person. His great joy in life is flying, so he buys a plane. He can’t really afford the loan on the plane, so he takes on some questionable work for a rather shady “contact” to help him make the payments. Things, as you might predict, kind of snowball from there.

It has to be said that the central character annoyed the hell out of me for probably the first half of the book! Seemed like the poor guy couldn’t go half a page without causing the hackles of my inner feminist to rise for one reason or another, but he's a pretty accurate rendering of (some examples of) the male of the species, and is proof positive that you don’t have to actually like a book’s protagonist in order to enjoy reading it. That said, as the story developed, my initial feeling of ambivalence-bordering-on-outright-dislike towards our main man Crayder began to change. He’s the kind of guy that just grows on you after a bit once you get used to his “ways”. I’m sure he would put this thawing on my part down to his having a pilot’s license and otherwise being downright irresistible to women, but I prefer to attribute it to the author’s skills as a writer!

Splitter has created a character full of potential in Crayder, and this debut novel sets the stage for further mishaps and adventures. I’ll be looking forward to the next installment.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Reluctant.