Joyzi's Reviews > Life of Pi

Life of Pi by Yann Martel

Dec 19, 11

bookshelves: borrowed, adult, religion, reviewed, realistic-fiction, philosophy, inspirational, favorites, fiction, contemporary-fiction, 1001-books, thought-provoking, 100-books-tfg
Recommended to Joyzi by: Charles Van
Recommended for: Those who like inspirational and philosophical books
Read from September 07 to October 06, 2011, read count: 1

Taken from Chapter 22 of Life of Pi

"I can well imagine an atheist's last words: "White, white! L-L-Love! My God!" - and the deathbed leap of faith. Whereas the agnostic, if he stays true to his reasonable self, if he stays beholden to dry, yeastless factuality, might try to explain the warm light bathing him by saying, "Possibly a f-f-failing oxygenation of the b-b-brain," and, to the very end, lack imagination and miss the better story."

This is a very typical story of faith against adversity and faith still manage to triumph in the end. What makes it unique is that Pi, the main character is a Hindu, a Christian and a Muslim at the same time. His trial of faith and survival starts when the ship that he and his family together with their animals (because they are zookeepers) sink in the Pacific.

He found himself inside a lifeboat together with his animals orangutan, hyena, zebra and a tiger. It was similar to the movie Castaway, but instead of being totally alone he has animals with him. It was actually pretty similar to National Geographic and you will learn a lot about animals and their behaviors.

I think this book is really informative and thought provoking and very brutal. There are scenes that are really horrendous like cannibalism, etc. However, all in all I think this is really a must read. Its get kind of weird and boring sometimes, but it's not really preachy.

I think it has a lot of symbolism that I just can't interpret yet. I think the tiger and the other animals maybe symbolize something.

What I learned from it is that sometimes we really need to believe in the unbelievable and believe in something, whatever religion it is. This book actually acknowledges Atheism, but not Agnosticism. I think what the author tries to point out is that better believe than doubt and just make a stand. Believe in Science if not Religion or believe in Religion than doubt both Religion and Science.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Life of Pi.

Quotes Joyzi Liked

Yann Martel
“To choose doubt as a philosophy of life is akin to choosing immobility as a means of transportation.”
Yann Martel, Life of Pi

Yann Martel
“If you stumble about believability, what are you living for? Love is hard to believe, ask any lover. Life is hard to believe, ask any scientist. God is hard to believe, ask any believer. What is your problem with hard to believe?”
Yann Martel, Life of Pi

09/23/2011 page 148
46.0% "This has lots of internal dialogues."

dateDown_arrow    newest »

ayundabs I just reread this book! I really liked it (: What do you think about it so far?

Joyzi I'm just starting. I think it's really funny having too many religions and his family is also having a really hard time. But there's really nothing wrong with being a Hindu, a Muslim and a Christian all at the same time. Maybe they have different Gods but I think the values of religion are all the same regardless of who the God is.

ayundabs I agree. Wait for the next part of the book, it gets better and better (:

Ryan Mac I spy with my little eye a tiger.

message 5: by Sonia (new) - added it

Sonia Limbang I like to think that the tiger is Pi, as is expressed in the alternate story without animals.

Kerry An atheist would never say those things as his last words.