Sara's Reviews > The September Sisters

The September Sisters by Jillian Cantor

Jul 23, 2011

bookshelves: 2011, young-adult
Read on July 22, 2011

This book reminded me a lot of The Lovely Bones, only re-told from the perspective of the sister who was left behind. Abby is almost thirteen when her sister disappears in the middle of the night, and although the police are investigating, they can't seem to find any leads. Abby's family falls apart a little more each day, and at a time when she should be coming of age in a normal family setting, she's forced to grow up in a world where everyone knows her as "Becky's sister" and her parents can't seem to find enough energy to realize she needs them.

It's a coming of age story for sure, but a very heavy one. The author is an excellent writer - something I already knew from reading another book of hers - and she brings the plot and characters to life in a way that is extremely gripping, despite the weighty subject matter. Not a whole lot actually happens, but it was interesting to see how Abby changes and grows up as time goes on in ways she didn't expect.

Because the book was so weighty and sad overall, I don't know if it's one I'd recommend to others (and it's not one I'd re-read), but it was certainly captivating and thought-provoking. The characters felt real and extremely flawed, and although the ending was sad, I really liked the scene on which it ended.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The September Sisters.