Dodoworld's Reviews > Blink: The Power of Thinking Without Thinking

Blink by Malcolm Gladwell

Oct 01, 11

bookshelves: currently-reading

Chapter 2:

Felt off balanced in this chapter due to starting with tennis players {hate tennis}.Alright , the author presents snap judgments in a quite nice way, but a serious question bears in mind ` How can I control this kinda judgments?o_O'. I totally agree with reviews here that snap judgments are more better than the longest one which might fail while applying it in a real pic.
"Primed for Action" ,however, it is more impressive how the author uses the truth of "The ventromedial Prefrontal Cortex" to enlarge his ideas towards quick judgments. I liked the idea how we sometimes stand behind the locked door and make judgments. Here is a good example when the author uses Mary's situation while changing her decisions in hurry then come back again to emphasis on her previous decision. I face this position sometime and I think "power of love" is main reason or the reason behind my locked door.
Finally , I dont enjoy this chapter :-$ as very much but I got some good points.

Chapter 3 :

I really enjoyed this chapter alot . I appreciate how the author does his best to convince us with his idea that sometimes "Snap judgments" are making troubles due to our poor experience or poor knowledge about the other 's environment. Still wondering how we really take a snap judgment to "tall" people!. I am in my wat to try "IAT" which I really hope I can take different scores to feel that Im in my way to put strong control to my snap judgment.
Through "blink in Black and White" section, I think we shall have some skills of salesman because we act in our daily life as " salesman". For instance, I find convincing my litter sisters with some ideas that we like is the hardest task because we are a little bit different. Hence, as the author said that collecting the information about the issue that I would to show it up is the first step before letting our snap judgment works on like " This sister is a such stubborn girl and I wont be able to change her mind"! . In some cases, this step assists me very much to take my sister at my line because I am talking with strong supporting sources.
On the other hand, Being a watchful itelligence person would shrink the possiblity to take snap judgment wrongly against a person or a thing. I think the author discusses the matter of black and white so far due to the nature of life that he is experienced. This means I have not touched this matter plays a crazy rule in my life because Islam calls to equality in everything as well as I used To hand down people according to what they have done than what they have gotten.
Last not least, I am one of people has worked hardly to stop my silly snap judgments because I discovered that "the Cover of book" does not reflect a real character of a person. ^_*
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Blink.

07/23/2011 page 15
5.0% "seems nice till now *.*"
show 4 hidden updates…

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Dodoworld (new) - added it

Dodoworld Ummmm introduction is a little bit boring. In the section of " The internal Computer", I liked how the author presents the "brain" especially " the adaptive unconscious". I am just waiting for how the author could convince us the simple fact he claims! .

The second section , the first chapter, shows the idea of "Thin-Slicing" theory in our quick reaction within the period of " the blink". Bill and Sue is a good source to support the author view even though I'm against the Sue's reaction hehe. Here a phrase freezes me for a while "It's a Yes-But" . I liked how Bill used this rule which assists me to be so closer to take a short view towards his personality. Increasingly, I do agree with the author's vision how some words leads to "the hierarchical treatment" such as "You are scum".

A big truth there is "We find that women start talking about a problem, the men get irritated and turn away, and the women get more critical, and itbecomes a circle". Yes thats right which most two sexes arent well know about it.

"The secrets of The Bedroom" is the most likely part I liked it. Its introduction reminds me with a real story to a relative when he hired to a great job due to spending a year with the owner of the organisation. Yes the boss experienced that guy in the same idea that the author mentioned. Now the organisation in a big financial problem but this guy never think to quit the job due to his honest with the boss.

"Listening to Doctors", through this section my understanding increases alot because of lovely example of " the doctors medical malpractice protection " . Here is a common traditional view bumbles up in the mind that is used via grandmoms while looking for a wife to their sons. It is " Focus on the girl's reaction with kids around " . They believe in how this girl loves kids to be a good mom. Yes it might a funny but in fact they used what is the author call it "Thin-Slices".
Done,
What do you think Ahmed? I appreciate your view,
Regards ^_^

message 2: by A7med (new) - added it

A7med Dodo I like what you wrote and your view, you know how take the good ideas from the books really, you will see my view tonight in sha allh ^_^