Jenny's Reviews > Reading Magic: Why Reading Aloud to Our Children Will Change Their Lives Forever

Reading Magic by Mem Fox

Jul 23, 2011

it was ok
bookshelves: education
Read in April, 2011

his book could have been completely finished after the introduction. But instead, Mem repeats herself several times about how reading aloud to your child is important and how many people's lives she has changed. I guess to me, maybe I have had a rare experience but most of what she wrote was just plain common sense. I kept reading because I was fascinated that people were shocked about "her" idea of reading to their own kids! It almost saddened me this book, to know that there are so many parents who find it a shocking idea to actually read to their kids. Because this was not such a shocking idea to me, I guess I found her voice in her writing to be too condescending and a very much "hey, aren't I the best reader in the world, and I judge everyone who does not do it my way". But again, I too am very very passionate about reading and reading to my kids and anything that can promote that to other parents, teachers, etc... is a service to all mankind.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Reading Magic.