Ruth's Reviews > Library of the Dead

Library of the Dead by Glenn Cooper

Jul 23, 11

C2009. My heart sank when I realised that this was going to be one of those books with the dreaded shifts in the time line. I usually manage to avoid these like the plague. However, at the end of the book, I could not think of another way that the author could have kept up the suspense. It was well done but confusing in the beginning. Good writing style and the protagonist, Will Piper is an interesting and well drawn character. Not too sure about the love interest thrown in or perhaps I can't reconcile myself to a relationship between a 48 year old ready for retirement "Formerly breath-catchingly handsome, a six-plus-footer with I-Beam shoulders, electric blue eyes, and boyishly rumpled sandy hair, before alcohol and inactivity gave his flesh the consistency and pallor of rising bread dough" and "a young Special Agent, only three years out of Quantico, who was so imbued with devout ambition and agency rectitude that he likened her to religous fanatic". In my opinion, this thread of the story was not necessary and the story could have been developed without the "love" interest. Certainly, seemed a false note but if developed, with a "series" or a movie in mind, then perhaps a requirement? But, for me, it detracted somewhat from the plot which needed to be believable to make it work. Would recommend to read when between "can't wait to read" books.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Library of the Dead.