Ruth's Reviews > The Mark of Ran

The Mark of Ran by Paul Kearney

Sep 30, 14

bookshelves: spec-fic

c2004. Recommendation from a book blogging site. Great read with all the elements that I love - the sea, magic, strong protagonist and great story told at a fast pace. After only a few chapters, I knew that this was a series I wanted to complete and promptly ordered Book 2. I was devastated to then find out that there was some sort of publishing rights issues and the 3rd book was never published and from what I have gleaned from the net - is not likely to be published. Boo Hoo. The blurb on the back is from Steven Erikson promoting Mr Kearney as "One of the very best writers of fantasy around.". High praise, indeed. Under the acknowledgements, Mr Kearney goes on to thank Erikson for helping him "who helped put me on the right track writing wise again." Just re-inforces my pet hate for the publishers including random quotes from similar genre authors on the covers to increase sales. At least there was no mention of "living stone" but "living seas" did crack a mention. At least living seas makes some sort of sense. "Never trust anyone who has responsibilities beyond his own skin. Anything can be rationalised when it is for the general weal."
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Mark of Ran.