Ruth's Reviews > The Waste Land

The Waste Land by Simon Acland

Jul 23, 2011

it was ok
bookshelves: history

** spoiler alert ** c2010. A different take on a Crusader romp with a bit of an obvious murder mystery included which strangely I quite enjoyed. Hugh de Verdon is a great protagonist. I first thought that he was unreal in his innocence concerning Blanche - but trying to think back way back when, I can kind of see why a teenager would do all this for "love of a woman". Especially given the background of "courtly love" so revered in those times. When there was a mention that there were a few lines taken from well loved poetry - it frustrated me greatly that I couldn't easily isolate them - even when I read it over again and again. I clearly need to expand my reading. Definitely up for reading the next one! This from an interview with the author at adam-p-reviews "A word of warning, though. It is not just an academic bibliography. You may be surprised to find references to adventure classics such as John Buchan’s Greenmantle and Henry Rider Haggard’s King Solomon’s Mines. This is because there are a couple of episodes in The Waste Land that pay homage to these books. And you may be surprised to see Monty Python and the Holy Grail included on the list. Well, see if you can spot the knight who says “Ni” in The Waste Land!"

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Waste Land.