Jennifer's Reviews > River Cottage Baby and Toddler Cookbook

River Cottage Baby and Toddler Cookbook by Nikki Duffy

Jul 23, 11

bookshelves: non-fiction, library-loan, read2011
Read on July 23, 2011

I got hold of this book to read because my veg box company had started selling it - along with pushing a range of organic baby purées labelled 'from four months' So I wanted to check it out before making my complaint to the veg box company about encouraging parents to believe that 4 months was the normal appropriate age for introducing solid food (like the rest of the food retail industry)

I am relieved to find that it is a pretty decent book. There are some things I would have liked to have seen in the section on the milk-alone phase of infancy - it is emphatically behind breastfeeding but rather along the 'breast is best' rather than 'breast is normal physiology' It also gives undue prominence to the school of thought (which does exist) that says babies *should* be introduced to solid food earlier than six months and quotes a psychologist (note, a psychologist, not a dietician) who thinks leaving it until six months is 'cutting it a bit fine' because of a window of opportunity for new flavours - completely ignoring that this is irrelevant to breastfed babies who have been experiencing flavour variety all along. On further investigation this clinical psychologist appears to have relationships with companies who, it could be argued, do not have a financial interest in babies being exclusively breastfed to six months... However, considered overall, compared with most other books of this type, it is a very thorough section.

It's also, and this doesn't surprise me from the River Cottage brand, rather lacking information on vegetarian and vegan diets, and quite heavy on the dairy, meat and fish in the recipes. Other than that, the recipes are great - not too fussy, not too dull. The tone of the book is very pleasant, the production values are suitably high... and I've made a note of some of the recipes to try.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read River Cottage Baby and Toddler Cookbook.