Andrew Sapp's Reviews > One of Our Thursdays Is Missing

One of Our Thursdays Is Missing by Jasper Fforde

Jul 23, 11

bookshelves: fantasy, satire
Recommended to Andrew by: No one: I eagerly await every new Fforde book.
Recommended for: Anyone who loves literature, satire, shameless punning, and/or fantasy
Read from July 20 to 23, 2011

Jasper Fforde--what can one say other than the man's a genius. I became an avid fan within the first ten pages of The Eyre Affair, which I picked up while browsing the shelves in Fantasy and was drawn by the reference to my all-time favorite novel. Fforde's latest addition to the Thursday Next series, One Of Our Thursdays Is Missing, is just what one expects from Fforde: a complex plot that both builds on and twists the story line, marvelous characterization, absolutely delightful satire, and a brilliance in weaving literary allusions throughout the story with such joyous playfulness that you find yourself re-reading paragraphs and chapters simply for the pleasure of it.
I'll leave the plot synopsis, for those who are interested, to Amazon, Barnes & Noble, or any of the other on-line sources Google will take you to. Suffice to say that the Written Thursday" of the previous Thursday Next novels must scour BookWorld™ to find out whether the "real" Thursday is alive or dead. Although she's played the great detective for five years (her predecessor played Thursday as much to violent and sexually adventurous, so the real Thursday had a more staid player take over), she is wholly unprepared to become a real detective when asked to investigate the mysterious destruction of book from Vanity Island (of the Fiction Archipelago), which soon alerts her to the fact that the real Thursday has been missing for over a week. Along the way she travels to Outland (the "real world", which is the world of Thursday Next novels to us), is ruthlessly pursued by Men in Plaid who keep trying to kill her with eraserhead slugs (once hit, one is reduced to graphemes, the basic building element of text), and becomes involved in trying to restart peace talks between Racy Novel, Women's Literature, and Comedy. Confused? Yeah. And that's the fun of reading Fforde. But don't worry, it all makes sense in the end.
If you're on Good Reads, I know you love literature. Do yourself a favor and pick up this or any of Fforde's books. Whether you're a fan of fantasy writing or not, you'll be in for a wild and thoroughly fun ride.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read One of Our Thursdays Is Missing.