Amy's Reviews > Life and Death in Shanghai

Life and Death in Shanghai by Nien Cheng

Aug 01, 11

Read from July 23 to August 01, 2011

This was an incredible book. It was an autobiography but it was also a history of modern China - I really learned a ton and it clarified many of the timelines and "movements" for me. It really gave incredible insight into how China worked/works. It is hard to align this to the China I see everyday in Shanghai. It makes me very interested to get to know more and to get to know more Chinese people on a different level to really understand. I see little bits and pieces from some of the folks I meet here. "I moved to Shanghai from the north because there is more freedom to say what you want." "The only Chinese that can get rich anymore are the grandchildren of the party members". Back to the book - it was incredible to see what she lived through and stood up for. It helps you see that the way through it all is a moral compass - vs. changing with every regime change - with that you are always in danger for when the wind changes again.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Life and Death in Shanghai.