Jay's Reviews > The Mirador

The Mirador by Sarah Monette

Sep 09, 07

bookshelves: fantasy
Read in August, 2007

I was apparently a bit too enthusiastic in my review of the first book of this series. It was a kinda "can't see the forest for the trees" moment. I absolutely adore Mildmay. That really helps since I can't stand Felix more often than not. The only time I *can* stand Felix? Is when he's tortured and gone bugfuck. He's not a likable character, but I don't think he's meant to be. Or he is meant to be, but only after he's been tempered by the extreme heat of how he keeps fucking up his life. And Mildmay's by proxy.

I liked the new pov in this one, as Mehitabel is pretty snazzy. I will admit that now that I've a chance to go back and read all three books in one go, the swapping perspectives every few pages can get old. I have no problem with each chapter having a different narrator, but new narrators every few pages? Can be excessive. I still read it, though, and will pick up the final book in the Quad when it drops next summer, because whether I like the characters or not. Whether they started out having their motivations or their world well-explained or not, I'm still intrigued by what they do and what's going to happen to them. It's just unfortunate that the first book wasn't really marked as the first in a series, because jumping in en media res without any obvious payoff at the end of the first book threw off quite a few folks I recommened these books to. Ah, well. Such is life. Such are books.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Mirador.