Anne Nikoline's Reviews > Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close

Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close by Jonathan Safran Foer

May 31, 12

bookshelves: adult-ilterature, historical-fiction, read-2011, read-for-school, favorite-books, own
Recommended to Anne Nikoline by: unknown but thanks!
Recommended for: people who likes to make conclusions
Read from October 02 to November 27, 2011, read count: 2

Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close by Jonathan Safran Foer is a rather weird book. Not in a confusing and disorientating way. Simply in a weird-good-but-still-weird way, and still the reader, in this case myself, might be left off with nothing but tears and a whole new look upon life and its difficulties. Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close is really touching.

What touched me the most was how a little kid, the nine-year-old Oskar Schell could touch my heart as much as he did. He's nine but the author gives him an incredible ability to really speak. It's a book which touched the deepest of my heart in all kind of weird ways that makes you feel rather... exhausted. I know does not make any sense at all. How can I book you enjoyed make you exhausted or make you feel almost empty, but nothing left but the tears that you cry? I guess Jonathan Safran Foer is simply gifted. He knows how to write.

When I said the book was weird, it's not only because of the great mix of feelings it left me, but a while after I'd turned the last page, I asked myself "is this a book you would ever consider rereading?" and I didn't know the answer, still I think when a book like this is so filled with symbols and metaphors, you need to read more than once to fully appreciate and get the most out of. So yes I will reread it again sometime.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close.

Quotes Anne Nikoline Liked

Jonathan Safran Foer
“Sometimes I can hear my bones straining under the weight of all the lives I'm not living.”

Jonathan Safran Foer
“I started inventing things, and then I couldn't stop, like beavers, which I know about. People think they cut down trees so they can build dams, but in reality it's because their teeth never stop growing, and if they didn't constantly file them down by cutting through all of those trees, their teeth would start to grow into their own faces, which would kill them. That's how my brain was.”

Jonathan Safran Foer
“Just because you're an atheist, that doesn't mean you wouldn't love for things to have reasons for why they are.”

Jonathan Safran Foer
“I shook my tambourine the whole time, because it helped me remember that even though I was going through different neighborhoods, I was still me.”

Jonathan Safran Foer
“We need enormous pockets, pockets big enough for our families and our friends, and even the people who aren't on our lists, people we've never met but still want to protect. We need pockets for boroughs and for cities, a pocket that could hold the universe.”

Jonathan Safran Foer
“I like to see people reunited, I like to see people run to each other, I like the kissing and the crying, I like the impatience, the stories that the mouth can't tell fast enough, the ears that aren't big enough, the eyes that can't take in all of the change, I like the hugging, the bringing together, the end of missing someone.”

Jonathan Safran Foer
“I regret that it takes a life to learn how to live.”

Jonathan Safran Foer
“I didn't understand why I needed help, because it seemed to me that you should wear heavy boots when your dad dies, and if you aren't wearing heavy boots, then you need help.”

Jonathan Safran Foer
“We had everything to say to each other, but no ways to say it”

Jonathan Safran Foer
“She wants to know if I love her, that’s all anyone wants from anyone else, not love itself but the knowledge that love is there, like new batteries in the flashlight in the emergency kit in the hall closet.”

10/03/2011 page 141
10/31/2011 page 82
25.0% "Rereading this for a school project in December."
11/29/2011 page 1
0.0% "Yes, I am reading this or the third time within the last two months, once again it's because of my huge assignment coming up next month. Le sigh!"

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Maria So glad you also love this book! It is epic great!

Anne Nikoline I know! I've read it two times alrady (for a school project) and I'll be reading it a third time soon.

Camilla Laursen I seriously recommend it for everyone that I know :)