Lori's Reviews > An Abundance of Katherines

An Abundance of Katherines by John Green

Apr 09, 08

Read in April, 2008

This was a great book but somewhat difficult to read. Everyone should give it a try. It is from the guy's perspective. In short, it is a story of Colin (the protagonist) who is a genius and falls in love with girls named Katherine. Colin classifies everyone into two categories, the Dumpers and the Dumpees. Colin is a dumpee, he is always dumped by his girlfriends (probably because he is such a nerd).

I enjoyed the hilarious footnotes throughout the book. For example, "The world record for watermelon seed spittis is held by Jim Dietz, who in 1978...68 feet 11 inches". The author includes random facts in the footnotes that loosely relate to the topic the characters are talking about.

Another funny part of the book are these word games called anagrams that Colin plays in his head constantly, since he is a "certifiable genius".

Since the book is written in the voice of a 17 year old boy who has just graduated from high school, there is frequent use of the "F" word. Which is not particularly offensive since instead of using the real word he uses the word fug. He frequently uses the word fug.

The plot of the book takes Colin and his best friend Hassan on a road trip the summer after Colin graduates from high school. They just drive with no plan of where they are going. They end up in Gutshot, Tennessee where they meet Lindsey Lee Wells (I'll only tell you that she and Colin are attracted to each other). This causes more hilarious, laugh out loud, humor.

It took me a while to read it but I enjoyed it, especially after page 174 to the end. (probably long before that)

Read it and let me know what you think!

1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read An Abundance of Katherines.

message 1: by Patrick (new)

Patrick that's fugged up