David's Reviews > The Last Full Measure

The Last Full Measure by Jeff Shaara

Jul 23, 11

bookshelves: 2011, audiobooks

This is a more than satisfying conclusion to the Shaara family Civil War Trilogy that chronologically begins with Jeff's "Gods and Generals", and continued with his late father Michael's masterful account of Gettysburg in the "Killer Angels". While the previous books focused on four narrators each, this third book by Jeff Shaara drops the count down to three, and for the most part two. If there is a flaw to this book, it is that we are not given enough of the fascinating and admirable Joshua Chamberlain. Primarily it is Grant and Lee who show us the war from Gettysburg through its conclusion and beyond. Shaara writes wonderfully, and the reader can feel the inexorable march towards the inevitable conclusion. I love how this book inspires by bringing out the qualities of tenacity in the characters: Of Grant who, although constantly outmaneuvered by Lee, just won't go away, and eventually wears out the South; of Lee, who won't give up even though he's heavily outnumbered and his men are starving or deserting; Of Chamberlain, who keeps getting wounded but comes back again. When the scene finally arrives where Lee surrenders to Grant and then when the South lays down arms to Chamberlain...this is so touchingly written that I could not help be teary-eyed throughout this passage. Excellent writing and an excellent trilogy.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Last Full Measure.