Breanne's Reviews > Elantris

bookshelves: fantasy
Recommended to Breanne by: Adam
Recommended for: Lauren
Read in July, 2008

So I found a gigantic hardcover copy of this at the library and brought it home and - BAM! I finished the book. For some reason the small paperback books are less appealing for me to read. They're lighter than hardcovers, but the hardcovers can just lay open while you read them - very appealing for me.

On to the book: Have you ever read a book where when you finish, you just sit there for a few moments and bask in it? That was me last night. I loved this book. It did take me awhile to get into it, but a lot of books can be that way, and often times it has to do with the reader more than the book. It was well worth it.

In my opinion, the author does and amazing job of bringing realistic characters to life - people who are flawed, tempted, and who can see both sides of a situation; people who can blow you away with their actions, but you completely understand their motives. People you are charmed by, people you fear, people you admire! How often do you admire a character in a book?

One negative for me is that the book is split up between three main characters - each chapter jumps to a new person's point of view. That can be pretty jarring at times (cliffhangers-a-plenty), but through the last 200 pages I hardly noticed.

Plot: This book takes a lot of back-story. And a lot of explaining. But again, bear with it because it is well worth it. He builds the story so completely that when something happens, you fully understand just how important it is, how much it means to everyone. It really makes a powerful narrative. I loved it.

Brandon Sanderson has mentioned that he'd like to do sequels for this book, but doesn't have any current plans to do so. There are a couple of open threads at the end of the book, but nothing that will infuriate you (I was worried about this after a recent post from an angry reader on Sanderson's blog). I'm completely satisfied.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Elantris.