Shannon's Reviews > Dreamers of the Day

Dreamers of the Day by Mary Doria Russell

Apr 02, 08

Read in April, 2008

What a disappointment. Both The Sparrow and A Thread of Grace by Mary Doria Russell are wonderful, heartrending books that have fully developed, believable characters. Both deal with serious issues of belief and faith. Both left me thinking.

This book, however, was sorely disappointing. The narrator wasn't terribly interesting and I felt at times like I was reading a history book (which is not a good sign since I do NOT enjoy non-fiction). I did learn a lot about how the events following WWI have shaped the current situation in the Middle East. The problem was that I ended up feeling like the entire book was a treatise on the author's beliefs about the current situation in the Middle East. She could have saved a lot of time, effort and ink by just writing an op-ed piece.

Will I read Russell's next book? Yes - I've decided that maybe she's hit-miss-hit-miss because The Sparrow and A Thread of Grace were her 1st and 3rd books. The 2nd (Children of God) left something to be desired. The 4th book... well, you've just read what I think about it.

If you haven't read a book by Mary Doria Russell, don't bother with this one, but don't miss out on the good ones.
8 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dreamers of the Day.

Pinkbullets
" I felt at times like I was reading a history book (which is not a good sign since I do NOT enjoy non-fiction)."

That's exactly how I felt, too!

Joel Bass I think this is a good example of what happens when an author wants to teach the audience something. Not to say that it can't be done ("The Sparrow" had a lot to say about what happens when two very different societies first make contact, on Earth or elsewhere), but in this case I think she lost track of the story, the characters, the emotions, and just plowed into the history lesson. Disappointing. "Doc," though, was great. :-)