dead letter office's Reviews > The Fountainhead

The Fountainhead by Ayn Rand

Mar 27, 08

this review is bizarrely getting votes from people i don't know, so let me just reiterate that the text of the prediction is from mcsweenys, in case it's not clear that all i did was a little cutting and pasting.

instead of reading this book, just read ayn rand's superbowl prediction in mcsweeney's and you'll get the idea:

When he saw Bill Belichick in the hallway before the press conference, Tom Coughlin's face contorted into a whine. "It isn't fair!" he shrieked. "You have all the best players!" he whimpered. "What happened to helping your fellow man?!" he mewled. "You ... all you care about is winning!" he sniveled.

The muscular coach set his prominent jaw, and his hard, handsome eyes glistened. "Why, Tom," he asked with a smile, "isn't winning what the NFL is all about?"

Coughlin's face turned bright red as he flapped his effeminate hands in hysterical gestures. By this time, a large crowd of reporters had gathered. "But, but ... your players are the best in the league! Your offense is unstoppable! How am I supposed to go on the field with my weak players or my simple, predictable playcalling?? We'll be destroyed! I tell you it isn't fair! We deserve to be helped! This is social treason!"

Belichick squared his broad shoulders as he stared Coughlin in the eye. The smaller man cowed and threw his hands to his face in a pathetic flail. "Tom," said Belichick, "I bet nobody has been honest with you in your entire life, so let me be the first. I was taught in the ways of strength. Yes, my men will win today. But it's because we've had the courage to act on our judgment, and the fortitude to trust our decisions. Long ago, we were faced with a choice—the same choice you faced. We chose conviction. You chose impotence. And now, today, you ask me not only to cut my wrists and bleed on your behalf ... oh no. You would also have me fund, design, and build the knife. You accuse me of social treason, and yet you beg me to betray myself." The beautiful man laughed a throaty, attractive laugh. "You are a coward, Tom, and a coward in this world deserves nothing."

With a great cheer, the reporters stood in unison and applauded.

Prediction: Patriots 326, Giants –27

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Fountainhead.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Thomas Alvi That Superbowl prediction was Klassik!

message 2: by Emre (new)

Emre Poyraz it this novel one long, big Ant and the Grasshopper story? :)

message 3: by J. (new) - added it

J. @Emre Poyraz I certainly hope so, seeing how that story has an excellent moral.

message 4: by Emre (new)

Emre Poyraz J. wrote: "@Emre Poyraz I certainly hope so, seeing how that story has an excellent moral."

yeah, the moral of the story is that ants are selfish a..holes who let others starve just to "make a point" :)

message 5: by J. (new) - added it

J. Emre wrote: "J. wrote: "@Emre Poyraz I certainly hope so, seeing how that story has an excellent moral."

I guess schools in Turkey don't teach logic?

message 6: by Emre (new)

Emre Poyraz i guess the schools in your country don't teach humor?

message 7: by J. (new) - added it

J. Nope. Too busy teaching work ethic I suppose.