Don's Reviews > The Last Werewolf

The Last Werewolf by Glen Duncan

Jun 12, 2012

bookshelves: favorites
Read from July 22 to August 09, 2011

The Last Werewolf is a taut, original ride into the man/monster genre. This is not paranormal romance. It is horror, a monster origin story, told with great wit and clever language. I read it with the same pleasure I first read Interview with a Vampire. This turns a genre on its head, while keeping enough wonderful clichéd elements to identify it as being from the same gene pool as all the werewolf movies that enthralled me growing up.

The language is colorful and dense. A joy to unpack. Duncan compresses each sentence like a poet. The book would be longer in other hands. I love his active voice. Instead of “the stones were as cold as a meat freezer” we get “the stones exude meat-freezer cold.” But sometimes the cleverness of expression draws attention to itself. I found I was marveling at sentence structure and having to reread for story.

I enjoyed the post modern self-awareness. “An accommodating deus ex machima would have been to find one of the garage doors open…” but no, he must find another way in. This is fun, but overused a bit.
I savored this book. The hardback is a treasure; paper edges painted a blood Merlot color, black dustjacket glowing with holographic phases of the moon. I’ll be reading it again, and trying to bring some of the same clarity and verve to my own writing.

It's May 2012 and time for a reread in anticipation of the sequel. Today's favorite line: "The snow was coming down with the implacability of an Old Testament plague."
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Last Werewolf.

07/28/2011 "I savor every sentence. Don't want this to end."