Sherri Rabinowitz's Reviews > The Hollow

The Hollow by Agatha Christie

Jul 22, 11

Recommended for: everyone
Read from July 17 to 21, 2011 — I own a copy, read count: 1

I had seen the David Suchet version and really enjoyed it. I really enjoyed the book and there were some points in it that struck me that I would never had gotten had I just seen the tv movie. This my own little thing that has been running in my head...

I think Agatha put a lot more of herself in the book then she meant to, I saw her as both Gerda and Edward for different reasons. John Cristow was Archie, and from what I have read she was the worhshiper just as Gerda was. He tumbled off the pedistal in much the same way but instead of killing him she pulled off the disapearance of the century. Much better really, torchure him, and get to watch it from a distance. I think she poured all her reasons for loving and worshiping Archie into John Christow(even the name) and then she revealed all his flaws that led to his murder.
Through Gerda she got to show all her sadness, confusion, anger and depression. I don't think I would picked up from a movie, even from the greatest actress on the planet.

Edward sinking so deep in depression that he attempts sucide and her description of that depression lead me to the conclusion she suffered from clinical depression herself. I have never suffered from that but I am a great fan of another British novelist who did, Jo Rowlings who invented the Dementors, a creature invented from depression. Agatha Christie description of Edward sounded just as Jo Rowlings described her fight with it, in both the Year in the life and the interview she had with Oprah. I just had to say somthing because it hit me on the head and I couldn't shake it out.
So now I am free of it, thanks for letting me:)
3 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Hollow.

Pamela Was extremely interested by your theory that Christie portrayed herself as both Edward and Gerda and used John as Archie. I kept that thought in mind while listening (audio book rather than printed) and it really added to my enjoyment. Thank you!

Sherri Rabinowitz Your welcome, I thought of it suddenly while re-reading the book. I had seen people speaking about depression and I saw that in those two and then I thought...I think she is talking about herself. Wow! I wonder if anyone else sees this. Thank you for your support of my theory:)
Sherri

Christie I had not thought of the connection with Edward and Gerda and will keep my eyes more carefully open this time as I read it. I agree completely about the depression and love that you referenced Ms. Rowling and her Dementors! That part of the Harry Potter books has helped me to explain to so many people what it is like to have a panic attack and suffer depression. It also gave me such a window into her own life. Back to Agatha, though, I've been reading her for so long now but she continues to always surprise me in the rereadings! I don't think she gets the credit she deserves as a writer and not just a writer of mysteries.

Sherri Rabinowitz Thank you, yes it just hit me as I read it, maybe because I saw that special about Jo Rowling, she talked about her depression and what it was like. I read the book a bit later and I was struck by the verbiage. I agree, Agatha put a lot in her writing it was not just a puzzle or it would not be as beloved it is. I am so glad that she and Harry helped you, it helped me too :)

Christie wrote: "I had not thought of the connection with Edward and Gerda and will keep my eyes more carefully open this time as I read it. I agree completely about the depression and love that you referenced Ms...."